Camping in the rain at 45 degrees…one of the things we did over Thanksgiving break, and as soggy and cold as it sounds (and it was) it was major fun too. It’s the best way in the world to bond with your kids, and the best way to really (literally) unplug and breathe in and out a bit especially during busy times like the Holidays. Even cold, wet air when framed in the beauty of the Texas Hill Country is considerably healing to the mind, spirit and body. I always come home completely re-energized and nothing else gets the creativity and joy flowing like the natural reset from sleeping out in the open air. We prefer primitive camping, and that means no water, no power, and no RV. Just tents, zero degree rated sleeping bags, a roaring campfire, and our new Kelly Kettle camp stove (plus a long list of primitive camping essentials which we’ve sorted out over many years that makes it a lot more fun out there, which I could go on about but I’ll spare you for now). Except for one category of course: my spiffy little clear and pink tackle box (think I got it from Hobby Lobby) that houses my travel-sized or decanted stash of skin, hair, and body essentials. This one’s set up for winter weather, and the products could safely be a winter skin survival list wherever you may be, only I would add a really nutritious oil like REN 012 Rose Synergy Moisture Defense Serum (I never ski without it!)
These are all my simple essentials (I know, in primitive camper world this is a behemoth of a box and it’s straight up ridiculous) but it makes me feel better and it makes me a little happy to have a few “luxuries” out in the wild.
In the handy top of the kit, here’s the few and precious quick access items I keep:
- some CUTE hair ties for braids
- cotton swabs
- Rohto eye drops (for long smoky campfire nights)
- Avene Cold Cream Lip Balm – thick and curing to dry lips
In the pull out tray, some items for collecting myself in the morning:
- Rouge Bunny Rouge Double Duty Beauty Mirror (one side magnifying and so cute with butterflies and flowers!)
- more swabs
- Clark’s Anti-Puff Eye Cream decanted, take it everywhere puffy eyes might strike
- Southern Fringe Browsketch; brows are the easiest way to look better fast
- ILIA Silken Eye Shadow Stick in Age of Consent. Just a smudge on the lids.
- Ellis Faas Concealer Pen in S204 Quick, simple coverage to any multitude of problems
- Decleor Aroma Night Neroli Essential Night Balm is pure heaven right before bed.
- Supergoop! MINTFusion Lip Balm SPF 30 for being in the sun
- GLO Mini Tootbrush and Toothpaste in Lemon Citrus is super fresh
- Supergoop Forever Young Hand Cream SPF 40 Gotta cover the SPF bases!
- mini sewing kit
In the large bottom compartment:
- Mama Mio Gorgeous Glow Balancing Facial Swipes – face, body, everything.
- Avene Thermal Spring Water great for rinsing the face when there’s no water
- Arnicare Cream tight neck/back, solved
- Mai Couture Lavender Rejuvenate Specialty Paper for blotting
- Hydrocortisone, for bites, itches, etc.
- The Organic Pharmacy Deodorant Spray a shower in a bottle!
- hand sanitizer
- Kevyn Aucoin Eyelash Curler. Yes. I take it CAMPING. 🙂
- Supergoop! City Serum SPF 30 Sunscreen. I love this formula, it disappears into skin so reapplying new layers isn’t a problem.
- Klorane Dry Shampoo. A must.
- Avene Antirougeours Cleansing Milky Fluid One of the best waterless cleanses
- Avene Toner gets everything else off for super clean skin
- band aids.